Although it is one of the most popular dishes in Peru, not everyone knows how to prepare the delicious ají de gallina. To help you, we share your practical recipe below. PERUVIAN FOOD AJI DE GALLINA
This dish is very popular as a representative of Peruvian food in the world. For this reason and so that you can enjoy the dish at home, you will find out the recipe below.
Chicken chili ingredients
- 1 skinless and fat-free chicken or chicken breast
- 2 1/2 cups broth (use the broth in which you cook the chicken)
- 4 loaves
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 onion cut into small squares
- 3 fresh yellow peppers, blended
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 pinch of powdered or ground oregano
- 1 tbsp. toasted and chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- black olives
- White rice (garnish)
- Cooked white potato (garnish)
How to prepare chicken chili?
In a pot, boil the breast and shred when ready. In case of using bread (pre-soak it for a few minutes, then drain it and blend it), and if you use soda crackers, you only have to grind it.
Clean the yellow peppers and cut them into strips. Then, blend them, for this you can help yourself with the milk and broth from the boiled chicken.
Now, chop the onion into squares and brown it together with the garlic. Later, add the liquefied yellow peppers. Separately boil the potato and the eggs (separately).
Add the bread or cookie and stir with a wooden spoon. When you notice that the food acquires consistency, add the nuts.
Serve with sliced hard-boiled eggs, olives, boiled potatoes, and white rice (optional).
- In addition to hard-boiled eggs and purple olives, you can also include pecans and Parmesan cheese on top to top off this national flagship dish.
- It is very common among Peruvians to accompany the ají de gallina with sliced bread. Test it!
- You can replace the chicken with chicken without skin and without fat, and parboiled.
Did you know…
- To talk about the origin of ají de gallina we must go back to colonial times in Peru and, surprisingly, find curious similarities between the dish and manjar blanco.
- And it is that there was menjar blanc, a stew that appeared in Catalan cuisine in the fourteenth century. Then, product of the combination of Spanish and Quechua ingredients, one of our flagship dishes is born.
- Initially the dish was presented with a cream that had chicken breast, rice, almonds and had a sweet flavor , but over time that changed thanks in part to the chili pepper that is now used in its preparation and that is also the cause of the name that carries.